Most Popular Cocktail Connie Posts

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

REDHEADED STEPCHILD


With or without ice- up to you!

REDHEADED STEPCHILD
2 ounces peach brandy
1 ounce Calvados
1 ounce orange juice

Redheaded stepchildren have a bad reputation. They are known for being feisty, unruly and are often treated badly — resented for their presence and the shocking color of their hair. My stepchild has blonde haired, but I have redheaded step-nieces and nephews and lots of other stepfamily, whom I love. Sunday was Stepfamily Day and I’ll toast the steps in my life any day! For the toast I’ll use the REDHEADED STEPCHILD cocktail. To make it, put the three ingredients above into a cocktail shaker, add ice, shake and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a slice of lemon or orange.

Brandy is basically distilled wine, and it is often drank at room temperature from a snifter. The flavored brandies are typically less expensive and lower-quality than the more expensive, cognac brandies. The peach brandy in the REDHEADED STEPCHILD was inexpensive, but I thought it added a great flavor to the cocktail. The three ingredients were a creative combination, but they also packed a powerful punch.

Hubby wasn’t as impressed. He thought the REDHEADED STEPCHILD tasted like pancake syrup. He didn't like the peach brandy and thought it was too sweet. He’s more of a cognac guy. Hubby, of course, wanted ice in his cocktail, and after it melted, he liked it a lot more. I don’t usually like ice in martini-glass cocktails, but on this one, I’d agree with Hubby and suggest adding ice. I think I would also add more orange juice next time I make a REDHEADED STEPCHILD, just to take out some of the kick out of it. After all, they are troublemakers and one must be cautious.

Drink Up^
Cocktail Connie

1 comment :

  1. Hi! Someone in mmy Facebook group shared this site with us so I came
    to give it a look. I'm definitely enkoying the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting
    this to my followers! Exceptional blog and fantastic design and style.

    ReplyDelete