Most Popular Cocktail Connie Posts

Thursday, March 8, 2012

SLOPPY JOE

SLOPPY JOE
1 measure red port
1 measure cognac
2 measures pineapple juice
2 dashes Cointreau

Today is my Italian Brother-in-law Joe’s birthday. He’s 29 I believe. That’s his silly grin in the picture.

I just had to have the SLOPPY JOE cocktail today and invited Joe over to partake. A bonus Joe showed up too. All he really wanted was a GIPSY from yesterday. I told him he first had to drink a SLOPPY JOE, which was really just an excuse for me to make a second round of this delicious cocktail. To make both rounds, I put the ingredients above into a shaker, added ice, gave it a couple shakes and strained the pretty, foamy mixture into some wine goblets. Birthday boy put some slices of orange in and took the hillbilly goblet. 


The SLOPPY JOE cocktail is the best way to drink port wine in Miami. The other ingredients cut down on the heaviness of the port, yet it is still the dominant force in the cocktail. Joe said he could feel the port rise up his esophagus, in a nice way. It also reminded him of a Caribbean sangria. I thought it had a very pleasant flavor. It wasn’t too sweet and it induced a nice warmth. The pineapple flavor was a little too much and I cut back on the pineapple juice in the second round. I used a cheaper port and cognac, and it was still very good. I’ve heard you can substitute any orange liquor for the expensive Cointreau, but my extreme like for the stuff means I won’t go that route.

With three alcohols and one juice, I was a little afraid of the SLOPPY JOE cocktail, but my fears were quickly put to rest. Now my fears about a sloppy Joe from too many SLOPPY JOES, those are still around.


Drink Up^
Cocktail Connie

No comments :

Post a Comment