Most Popular Cocktail Connie Posts

Thursday, March 29, 2012

THE BIG APPLE

THE BIG APPLE
1 measure applejack
½ measure sweet vermouth
2 dashes Angostura Bitters

I don’t know what was with me tonight, but I wasn’t in the mood for a cocktail. A beer was calling my name and my favorite Michelob Light was in the fridge. Sweet Hubby saw my lack of enthusiasm and took it upon himself to make tonight’s cocktail. So of course it contained applejack. The intriguing alcohol from the 17th century, which is made of 35% apple brandy mixed with 65% neutral grain spirits, has become a new favorite of his.
To make the BIG APPLE cocktail (also called the Applejack Manhattan ) Hubby mixed applejack and sweet vermouth into a shaker, added ice and gave it some shakes. He then strained it into a glass, added two dashes of bitters and garnished with a boozy cherry he had soaked in maraschino juice. Bourbon, brandy, or any ol’ alcohol you have around will do, with the exception of rubbing alcohol.

I admit the BIG APPLE was good. It was a sweet, if very strong, combo of liquids. I especially liked the bitters and would have added another dash, but I’m not gonna complain. Hubby ended up putting ice in his. He said it gets better as it gets watered down, but I’m a classic cocktail kind of girl. In the end, I couldn’t decide and just had to have both the BIG APPLE and the beer. Another good combo of liquids.

Drink Up^
Cocktail Connie

No comments :

Post a Comment