Most Popular Cocktail Connie Posts

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

GIN GIMLET- WATCH OUT FOR THE SOUR BELLY!



GIN GIMLET
2 ounces gin
1 ounce Rose’s lime juice or lime cordial

The GIN GIMLET cocktail was invented in the 1920s, but it had a resurgence in the disco era of the early 80s. I was too young to be cocktailing then, but Hubby took one taste and said he remembered it well. He had overdosed on GIN GIMLETS back then and recalled the sour belly they could cause the next day. That’s not a ringing endorsement, but remember, he overdosed. The GIN GIMLET, or just Gimlet, is a very sour drink, but on a summer night, having just one can feel just right.

To make the GIN GIMLET, you’ll need just gin and lime juice. However, you can’t use just any lime juice. A true GIN GIMLET uses Rose’s lime juice or Rose’s lime cordial. I’m not sure what the difference is and I’ll never know, because, even after a searching a couple of stores, I could not find lime cordial. I did find Rose’s lime juice and I put it and the gin into a cocktail shaker. I added ice, gave it some shakes, and strained it into a short cocktail glass that was half filled with ice. For a more pure taste, you could also strain the mixture into a martini glass. I garnished with a slice of lime, and could have added some club soda as well.
 
 
The creation of the GIN GIMLET was based on the belief that nothing goes better with gin than lime. If you agree with that statement, you will love this cocktail. It’s a cool, clear electric green color and I was glad I added ice. Maybe I should have added the club soda too, because the strong lime taste was a bit bracing. But it was also a refreshing, very classic ,cocktail that I believe everyone should try at least once in their lives. Don’t like gin? Use vodka for a Vodka Gimlet cocktail, and…Drink Up^
Cocktail Connie


No comments :

Post a Comment