Most Popular Cocktail Connie Posts

Saturday, April 7, 2012

PAPA DOBLE

THE PAPA DOBLE
1 ½ ounces white rum
¼ ounce maraschino juice or liqueur
½ ounce grapefruit juice
¾ ounce simple syrup
¾ ounce lime juice

The Easter visiting with family started today and I love an opportunity to share cocktails with loved ones. The loved ones I was with today took a little trip to Cuba with me via the PAPA DOBLE cocktail -- a drink invented at the famed Florita bar in Havana, Cuba.

I make it, I filled a large shaker with the ingredients above, gave it shome hardy shakes and strained it into the fancy, plastic cocktail glasses you see in the picture. I added some cubes and served it up. The crowd was pleased and praised the PAPA DOBLE. They found it refreshing and nicely flavored. I liked the foamy top and the sweet taste. Unlike yesterday's cocktail, this was a sweet n' sour taste I can live with. "It tastes kinda like a sweet tart," said stepson-in-law Tommy. "I really like it."

That gives Tommy two things in common with Ernest Hemingway -- good looks and a love of the PAPA DOBLE. A frozen version of the PAPA DOBLE is sometimes called the Hemmingway Daiquiri. As the story goes, Hemmingway was a frequent visitor of the Florita and once had 16 of these cocktails in one setting. I could picture myself sitting in a seedy bar in Cuba, sipping a PAPA DOBLE as the hubby smokes a cigar, and being happy. Hope your day is happy. If not, a PAPA DOBLE can't hurt!

Drink Up^
Cocktail Connie



No comments :

Post a Comment