Most Popular Cocktail Connie Posts

Friday, April 6, 2012

KATINKA

Let’s have a drink!
Давай выпьём!
     Davaj vyp’jom!
KATINKA
1 ½ measures Russian vodka
1 measure apricot brandy
½ measure lime juice

I love Russians for many reasons, but chief among them is the vodka. They invented the stuff (though some claim it was really Poland) and made it popular in Europe. It took a while for Americans to catch on, but once we figured out that vodka pretty much tastes like whatever it’s mixed with- look out! Vodka is number one in sales and there is what seems like a 100 different flavors of vodka on the average liquor store shelf. Has anyone had the “Dude” flavored vodka and can tell me what it tastes like?

The KATINKA cocktail could possibly have benefited from the Dude or any other flavored vodka, because what it mostly tasted like was lime. To make the KATINKA, I put vodka, apricot brandy and lime juice into a shaker, filled it with ice, shook it up and strained it into a glass filled with a nice pile of crushed ice. I garnished with a slice of lime, but I regret squeezing some of the lime juice in, because the KATINKA was too sour for me. The description in the cocktail book said it had a nice balance of sweet n’ sour, but I couldn’t taste any sweet from the brandy at all. I love to say this cocktail’s name, but other than that, I was disappointed. But if you like your cocktails to taste more sour than Statlin’s smile, give it a whirl.

Drink Up^
Cocktail Connie

No comments :

Post a Comment