Most Popular Cocktail Connie Posts

Monday, December 31, 2012

WINTER AND ADVICE- LAST ONE!


WINTER
1½ ounce orange vodka
½ ounce blue curacao orange liqueur
1 ounce champagne
Blue or red maraschino cherry juice for garnish

366 days after it started, my cocktail year comes to a close with a cocktail simply called WINTER. I've been enjoying the season of cold and snow this New Year's weekend, spending it on a skip trip, so it only made sense to try to capture it in a cocktail.

To make the WINTER cocktail, put orange vodka and blue curacao into a glass pitcher, add ice, and stir well. Strain the mixture into a champagne glass, top with champagne and a dash of cherry juice and enjoy. I couldn't find blue maraschino cherry juice, but it didn't really matter because the WINTER cocktail was a lovely blue color that the crowd I was with just loved. They said it reminded them of the waters of the Caribbean -- a great place to visit during the winter months. The taste of the cocktail on the other hand, did not go over so well with the crowd. I heard comments like, "It tastes like alcoholic Gatorade" and "A waste of good champagne."

But my experience has taught me that you can't always judge a cocktail by your first sip. After a while, the sweet, distinctive taste of the WINTER cocktail grew on me. It was like champagne had gone punk, adding a little orange flavor and bitterness to the mix, but getting more creative and fun along the way. Much like the season, by the end of WINTER, I didn't want another one right away, but I had fond memories and increased fortitude. Not to mention a good buzz.

When it comes to champagne cocktails, the best ones this year were the simple ones, with only one additional ingredient added. This is just one of the things I've learned after 366 days of cocktails. Before I move on to other life interests, here are some others.....

* Don't be afraid of brown liquor. When mixed with the right washes, it tastes great and won't give you a hangover.
* Sometimes you just need to add ice and let it melt before a cocktail tastes the way it should. Frank Sinatra always let his cocktails melt for eight minutes.
* Club soda is your best friend when a cocktail is too strong.
* It ain't easy to find a cocktail shaker that doesn't leak. I went through three of them this year. The last one was an expensive one from William & Sonoma. It leaked.
* The best flavored vodka is "cake."
* Campari and Southern Comfort are gross.
* Cocktails that use both beer and liquor are never good.
* Good garnish makes the drink.
* Layered cocktails are easy and fun. Forget using the back of a spoon, just pour real slowly.
* Cocktails start conversations.

I could go on. I've learned a lot this year about cocktails and about myself. It's been a great year of cocktails and I look forward to having my favorites again in 2013. May you have a healthy, happy and fun 2013 dear readers. As always....


Drink Up^
Cocktail Connie


4 comments :

  1. Hі theгe, I discovегeԁ уοuг blog
    by thе use of Googlе even aѕ looκіng for
    a сοmрaгable topic, your site gοt
    here up, іt ѕeеmѕ to be good.
    І havе booκmarked іt іn mу
    goοgle boоkmarks.
    Hеllο there, simply was alert to уour blog thгu Gоoglе, аnd founԁ that it's truly informative. I'm gonna ωatch out fоr brusselѕ.
    І will be grateful should уou continue thіs іn futuгe.
    Lotѕ οf other fοlks might be
    benefited frоm your writіng. Cheeгs!
    Also visit my web-site lån penge nu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot οn with thіs wrіte-up, ӏ hοnestly feel
    this amazing site needs much more attеntіon.
    I'll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the advice!
    My homepage ipad3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haѵe уou ever conѕiderеd about аԁding a little bіt morе than just your articles?
    I mеan, what уou say is important аnd eveгуthing.

    But think of if you added sοme greаt іmages or video
    clips to gіve уour posts more, "pop"! Υour content
    is excellent but with images anԁ clips, this webѕite сoulԁ
    undeniably be onе of thе most benefiсial in its niche.

    Excellеnt blog!
    My webpage > ipad3 pris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you make this website yourself or did you hire
    someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like
    to know where u got this from. appreciate it

    ReplyDelete