Most Popular Cocktail Connie Posts

Sunday, July 8, 2012

BOURBON ROCKS


BOURBON ON THE ROCKS
2 ounces good bourbon
Ice
Peel of lemon


Happy Birthday to my rockin’ pal Cindy (a.k.a. Fish!) In the 20 plus years that I’ve known Fish, the variety of alcohol that she has digested has been commendable. Unlike me, Fish has never been afraid to try new cocktails and blaze new trails. These days, she’s a little more meticulous, but no less fearless. Her cocktail of choice is BOURBON ON THE ROCKS.


As you can read above, the recipe couldn’t be easier. Still, this cocktail will take over 10 minutes to make. Start by putting lots of ice into a short rocks glass. Let it sit for a few minutes, then pour in the best bourbon you can afford almost to the rim. I used Knob Creek Single Barrel Bourbon and Fish’s favorite is Basel Hayden. Other good choices include Woodford Reserve and Old Grandad. The last two steps of making this cocktail are adding a peel of lemon and letting it sit for at least 10 minutes.


This “letting it sit” part is called the melt. Fish loves her BOURBON ON THE ROCKS, but it has to have the melt. Without it, you will be choking this down. With it, smooth sipping. The length of the melt is directly proportional to the proof of the whiskey. The Knob Creek that I used is a whopping 120 proof, so I really needed 20 minutes before I could enjoy my cocktail. On the other hand, 90 proof Woodford Reserve may only need a 5 minute melt. Either way, if doing it on the rocks, don’t forget the melt.


Drink Up^
Cocktail Connie
(a.k.a. Roz)




No comments :

Post a Comment