Most Popular Cocktail Connie Posts

Friday, June 8, 2012

HONEYMOON COCKTAIL


HONEYMOON COCKTAIL
2 ounces Calvados
½ ounce Benedictine
½ ounce orange curacao
½ ounce lemon juice


My own honeymoon was spent skiing in the Alps, and I’m not complaining, it was wonderful. But I really just wanted to go to a beach. Well, today at least I got to drink a HONEYMOON cocktail while getting ready for a trip to beach, and it definitely took the edge off of packing.


My last vintage cocktail drink, the HONEYMOON was a signature cocktail of the famous Brown Derby restaurant in Los Angeles in the 1920s. They didn’t invent it though. The cocktail recipe was first seen in a 1917 cocktail book. To make it, put the ingredients above into a cocktail shaker from the 1920s or later, fill it with ice, shake it like the bed of happy honeymooners and strain it into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a slice of lemon or lime. Calvados is a French apple brandy, and you could use applejack or any brand of apple brandy, but Calvados is your best bet.


The HONEYMOON cocktail has a smooth taste and is definitely a special one. But the orange flavor is overwhelming and, with three liquors, you may miss the bed and hit the floor instead. Hubby and I had to add ice, and as it melted, the cocktail got a little sweeter and went down a little easier. While I enjoyed the HONEYMOON and I’m ready for the next phase of my life —beach cocktails! Ocean Isle, North Carolina, here I come.


Drink Up^
Cocktail Connie


No comments :

Post a Comment