Most Popular Cocktail Connie Posts

Thursday, May 3, 2012

RED ROSE


RED ROSE
Bulleit Bourbon
Muddled Strawberries
Rosemary
Fresh Orange Juice
Fresh Lemon


Roses are Red,
Violets are Blue,
Drink a Red Rose,
And taste bourbon anew



I know, I know, corny poem. I guess I’ve become a full-fledged brown liquor lover, because, not only am I writing poems about it, I also found myself ordering a RED ROSE bourbon cocktail at happy hour with some fine ladies on a fine spring day. I almost ordered one of the delicious-sounding martinis on the menu at Moxie where we were, but this little experiment of mine has taught me how well fresh fruit and bourbon go together, so I had to give the RED ROSE a try.


To make it, the bartender first muddled a strawberry at the bottom of a short rocks glass. He then added bourbon, orange juice and ice, and gave it a stir. Lastly, he added a sprig of rosemary and a slice of fresh lemon, before handing it to the harried waiter to serve.


The RED ROSE cocktail was as perfect as the weather. With bourbon, only high quality will do, and the legendary (and pricey) Bulleit Kentucky Bourbon was very smooth, especially when mixed with just the right hint of sweet and sage. I also loved the rosemary and lemon floating around in my glass like they were in a parade. My only complaint about the RED ROSE is that the strawberry takes up too much room in the glass. That and the fact that it makes me want to write corny poems


Drink Up^
Cocktail Connie

No comments :

Post a Comment