Most Popular Cocktail Connie Posts

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

THE MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY MARTINI

MAYDAY MARTINI

2 measures vodka
1 measure lemon juice
1 measure cinnamon syrup

“It’s May 1st. Isn’t that a holiday or something?” a co-worker asked me today. “It’s May Day,” I replied. “But it beats me what that is.”
When I came home, I chose to enlightened myself with a little May Day research while drinking a MAYDAY MARTINI. I found out that May Day is an ancient European celebration of the beginning of sunlight and fertility after the dark days of winter. You are suppose to gather, laugh, play, dance around a maypole, and, of course, drink. During your own personal celebration, you might not want to drink a MAYDAY MARTINI. Because I also found out that it sucks.

But that may be my own fault. To make the MAYDAY MARTINI correctly, you need cinnamon syrup. I went to my fanciest grocery store and they did not carry cinnamon syrup. I forged ahead anyways. I put vodka, lemon juice, and cinnamon sticks and ground cinnamon into a shaker. I filled the shaker with ice cubes, before shaking and straining the weird-looking liquid into a chilled cocktail glass. The recipe also recommends a strawberry garnish. Hubby thought the MAYDAY MARTINI was awful and tasted like medicine. I thought it was borderline awful and actually drank half my glass, but that was all. The cinnamon flavor was very strong and using the syrup may have made a huge difference if you can find it.

Mayday is also what pilots say when their plane is going down. It comes from a French term for “come and help me” and you are suppose to say it three times in a row when in distress. I therefore think this cocktail should have been called the MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY MARTINI.

Drink Up^
Cocktail Connie

1 comment :

  1. wonderful post, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite experts oof
    this sector do not understand this. You muwt continue your writing.
    I'm sure, you have a great readers' bawse already!

    ReplyDelete